I haven’t done one of these columns in a long time so why not now? Add in that I post a lot less in general, so I thought why not a newer band. Haken has some amazing albums and all are recommended. Some more than others!
7. Vector (2018): this is easily my least favorite. I was very disappointed when it came out. It sounds forced to me. The good news is that when you couple it with “Virus” (which is it’s second part), this album is better. The thing is “Virus” can stand without “Vector.”
6. Restoration (2014): it might not be fair since this is an EP but all three tracks are great. It’s down here because it’s an EP. Highly recommended though.
5. Aquarius (2010): you don’t get debut albums as good as this one. It’s a little lower only because I like the other albums more. But it proves that Haken was a fully realized band from day one.
4. Virus (2020): an unfortunate title but an amazing album. It more than made up for “Vector” and it could rank as high as 3 for me.
3. The Mountain (2013): this is where the band got everyone’s attention and for good reason. Many people cite this as their favorite album and it could slide up or down a slot for me.
2. Visions (2011): the main reason I love this album is that it was the first album I heard and purchased by them. I’d never heard of them but they were recommended. This album is worth it for the massive title track alone!
1. Affinity (2016): this is far and away my favorite album by Haken. They just nailed it. Each track has its own identity and each one is stellar. “1985” is my favorite song by them. Ah nostalgia! This, for me, is their masterpiece.
So what order would you rank these albums? You can’t go wrong with Haken!