Rank ‘Em: Rush studio albums

It doesn’t get much harder than ranking Rush studio albums. There are so many and the band have had different sounds through the years. Still, Rush have always been about the “song” regardless of how long the song is. That’s how I ranked them. The more songs I like, the higher it goes. But still, many of the albums are SO CLOSE in ranking. This is another of those times when I could easily do this list next week and it would be different. Here we go…

220px-Rush_self_titled

19. Rush (1974)
This one was easy. The album is of course very different from the rest and Neil isn’t there. I can’t remember the last time I listened to it.

Rush_Test_for_Echo.jpg

18. Test for Echo (1996)
For as good as some of the songs are on this album (“Driven,” “Totem”), there are too many listless tracks (the title track, “Resist”) and even one of my least favorite tracks in “Dog Years.” The band just doesn’t have the fire they usually do, in my opinion.

17. Clockwork Angels (2012)
16. Snakes & Arrows (2007)
Plenty of great songs and good songs on each of these undone by shitty production by Nick Raskulinecz. He is terrible. Both albums are mixed inconsistently and often you cannot hear Neil. Each album needs a remix. Plus he has Geddy practically yodeling at times.

15. Fly By Night (1975)
14. Caress of Steel (1975)
If they had combine the better songs on these two albums and perhaps dumped the shitty tracks like “I Think I’m Going Bald,” there’s a classic album in here. They were young and still learning, plus 2 albums in one year is crazy. Plenty of classics on each album regardless.

220px-Rush_roll_the_bones

13. Roll the Bones (1991)
Between the rapping on the title track, crappy songs like “Face Up” and a thin production by Rupert Hine, this album just slid down here. It could slide further but it does have “Dreamline,” “Where’s My Thing,” and “The Big Wheel.”

60b8e-vapor_trails_remixed

12. Vapor Trails, Remixed (2002)
If this album wasn’t remixed, it would be near the bottom. The new mix is amazing. The songs are solid and there are a few gems. Let Bottrill remix the Raskulinecz albums!!

2ecac-rushcounterparts

11. Counterparts (1993)
This is a great album, other than “The Speed of Love.” It can easily crack the top ten depending on my mood. The production is amazing. Plus it has one of my favorite underrated Rush songs “Cold Fire.”

10. Grace Under Pressure (1984)
9. Presto (1989)
8. Power Windows (1986)
These three albums are ones that all are about the same for me. Each have some of my favorite Rush songs of all time. “Distant Early Warning,” “The Pass, “Available Light,” “Marathon,” “The Manhattan Project.” Each album has a song or two that are not great but no real glaring weaknesses.

a7633-rush_2112

7. 2112 (1976)
Not much can be said about this album. I have no doubt that many people will say it should be higher or even at #1. I think some tracks on the second side aren’t as strong as the rest. The title track is incredible of course.

9afe4-moving_pictures

6. Moving Pictures (1981)
If not for “Tom Sawyer,” I love this album. I hate that song. This album does not go any higher than this for me. “Limelight” alone keeps this album from falling at all.

5. Permanent Waves (1980)
4. Hemispheres (1978)
My top 5 are all consistently just that. These two albums can shift places but neither would ever fall out of the top five. Not a wasted note on either. These are consistently great albums.

7d0c8-rush_signals

3. Signals (1982)
I have a soft spot for this album because it was my first Rush album. Plus I love “Subdivisions” “Losing It” and “The Analog Kid.” The whole album is solid.

cd6fe-rush_a_farewell_to_kings

2. A Farewell to Kings (1977)
“Xanadu” makes this album what it is. But the rest of it is unbelievable. Yes I still love “Closer to the Heart” no matter how many times I hear it. “Madrigal” is underrated, as is “Cinderella Man.”

cf1f7-rush_hold_your_fire

1. Hold Your Fire (1987)
This album is special to me. “Mission” is my favorite Rush song and “Prime Mover” is my second favorite. And yes I love “Tai Shan” too. When I am not sure what album to listen to, this is always the one I grab.

And now you may tell me how insane I am! Give me your rankings!

Advertisements

About progmanrob

I have been a fan of progressive metal and progressive rock for most of my life. My music collection is insanely large. My passion for life is music...progressive music!
This entry was posted in progressive metal, progressive rock and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Rank ‘Em: Rush studio albums

1. C.G. says:

I don’t know if I could rank Rush albums because I often choose which Rush album I listen too based on mood and/or the time of year we’re in. However, nothing on your list jumps out at me to make me want comment on an album’s position. My least favorite albums production-wise are the Ruper Hines albums, Presto and Roll the Bones. Rolls the Bones is slightly worse because, even though I didn’t think it was possible, Neil’s drums sound even thinner than on Presto. Both albums just have an ugly painful drum sound. Alex’s guitar sound on both are super tinny and harsh too. Geddy’s voice and bass are about the only things well produced on those albums. Both albums have some great tunes on them though…and some real stinkers.

Liked by 1 person

03. 2112
    02. Moving Pictures
    01. Permanent Waves

That’s pretty close!

Liked by 1 person

3. TempleAcezan says:

This is a little belated comment. (TempleAcezan on twitter. i’m the one who sent you the Alex Lifeson 2112 thing.. Bottom line is, I am a huge fan of you and your work, and Progressive Rock/Metal) This is a ranking of MY least-favorite, to favorite Rush albums. It’s a little different than yours, but I think it’s still a good list.

19. Test For Echo (I have no love for this album. Period.)
    18. Snakes & Arrows (Besides “The Main Monkey Business,” I don’t enjoy this album at all. Plus, fuck Raskulinecz)
    17. Roll The Bones (Nothing too special about this one. “Where’s my thing” is alright, but I really don’t enjoy this album very much.)
    16. Grace Under Pressure
    15. Clockwork Angels (I do like “The Garden,” “BU2B,” and “The Anarchist,” but I’m gonna leave you to figure out why this album ranks this low. It may take you a while)
    14. Presto
    13. Power Windows
    12. Counterparts
    11. Vapor Trails
    10. Signals
    9. Rush
    8. Fly By Night
    7. Caress Of Steel
    6. Moving Pictures
    5. Hold Your Fire
    4. Permanent Waves
    3. 2112
    2. A Farewell to Kings
    1. Hemispheres

Like I said, the list is a bit different, but tell me what you think of it!

Liked by 1 person

• progmanrob says:

Thanks for the kind words! I like your list a lot. Any list that ranks “HYF” in the top 5 is good with me. The self titled seems high. I agree on TfE though. Not sure why you don’t like CA but I know for me it’s the shitty mix and production!

• Temple Acezan says:

Haha. Yeah. It was the shitty mix and production. It is not really my cup of tea. I will say that it is a slight improvement over “S&A,” but it isn’t anything too special. Also, I made a slight error in that, I meant to put Signals at number 7 and put Rush, FBN, and COS, behind it. I wish I caught that before posting my initial list, but other than that, the list is pretty much good to go! Also, same as your list, my list could flip-flop depending on my mood!

*Fixed List*

19. Test For Echo (I have no love for this album. Period.)
        16. Grace Under Pressure
        4. Permanent Waves
        3. 2112
        2. A Farewell to Kings
        1. Hemispheres

Liked by 1 person

• progmanrob says:

Haha! I like that you moved Signaks up. And yes fuck Nick Rcazhhciotdbkbz!! Though I will say, he didn’t fuck up the new Dream the Electric Sleep album. No idea how that happened!

4. Temple Acezan says:

Maybe Raskulisapieceofshiticz learned something? I agree that, he didn’t fuck up Heretics, but I ponder: how is he a grammy-winner? Not that Grammys actually fucking matter or anything, but still, it does baffle me that people don’t seem to mind mediocre production.

Also, I do have a soft spot for their debut album because it helped me out with my personal life, but some songs on the album are not good at all (I’m looking at you, In The Mood), and Moving Pictures is a great album, funny how it’s number 6 on both my list and your list, but “Vital Signs is one of my least favorite Rush songs ever, and Tom Sawyer it is overplayed so fucking much, and the thing I hate about it the most is that, people, specifically bad Rock music critics, say it’s “THE RUSH SONG.” Which, I disagree 2112% with. I can think of at least 50 Rush songs off the top of my head that are “THE RUSH SONGS” before you got to Tom Sawyer. I hate that people label Rush as only good because of Tom Sawyer, but really, Rush has done so much more than just Tom Sawyer, and people seem oblivious to the GREAT things that Rush has done over the years. It really ticks me off. That’s my opinion on all of that! Haha

Liked by 1 person

5. C. G. says:

I’m just super thankful that Rush never tapped Kevin Shirley to produce any of their stuff. That guy is a horrible producer. When he is in charge, you might as well have the drummer play on cardboard boxes. To be clear, I’m not defending Nick Rcazhhciotdbkbz. I’m saying Kevin ‘shit-for-sound” Shirley is way worse.

Liked by 1 person

6. Luke Henson says:

Awesome! Rush is my favorite group by a mile so I feel mildly qualified to do this.
    1: Hold Your Fire